Marton Cricket Club was formed circa 1853, with the first newspaper report in 1864 of a match against North Ormesby. For the first hundred and twenty years or so, games were played on the ground next to the Rudds Arms Public House on Stokesley Road. At this time they were a true village side, fielding a maximum of two teams during this period. A far cry from the three senior weekend teams and a further eight junior age-group teams fielded today. In 1885, Marton were founder members of what eventually became known as the Cleveland & Teesside League. They won the Cleveland Cup six times in twelve years around the turn of the century with Jack Newstead in the side – a Yorkshire CCC player. The Brunton & Appleton families have been synonymous with Marton throughout most of the 20th century. William Brunton was Club President, Captain, Groundsman & also Landlord of the Rudds Arms. In 1925 they joined the North Yorkshire & South Durham League ‘B’ Division and have continued their association with the NYSD since.
Marton CC have been Champions of the old ‘B’ Division on 4 occasions & a record breaking 10 times winners of the Haith Cup. The Club gained promotion from Division 1 to the Premier Division in 2005 and enjoyed league & cup success relatively quickly. In 2007, the overseas professional was a young South African, Imran Tahir, who helped secure glory in the MacMillan Cup that year. Imran has since gone on to be a world class bowler with the Springboks, representing them 140 times (and counting) in all formats of the game.
The most successful year in the long history of Marton was arguably 2009, when led by Graham Shaw, they became Premier Division Champions, Kerridge Cup & MacMillan Cup Winners and runners up in the Premier 15/15 final. Former Durham CCC opener John ‘Glendo’ Glendenen and all-rounder Lee Hodgson (Yorkshire CCC & Surrey CCC) played with Graham in this very successful XI. Success continued in 2011, when Marton were crowned Premier Division Champions again and in 2013 they lifted the Kerridge Cup for the fourth year out of five!
In 1984, after a lengthy 43 year career with four clubs in adult cricket as a player and a coach, Marton’s Albert Pagan began umpiring NYSD games at the tender age of 55. He only retired from these duties at the conclusion of the 2017 season. He was also instrumental in making his mark on the Laws of Cricket. Firstly by getting the definition of a ‘wide’ clarified and secondly getting a clear explanatory note regarding batsmen who changed their stances from right handed to left and vice versa. These achievements were recognised nationally by the ECB at the 2017 Nat West OSCAs ceremony at Lords, Albert winning the ‘Officiating, Umpires & Scorers’ Category.
Major ground changes came about in the 1970’s, when the council decided part of the cricket ground was to become the slip-road for the new A174 Marton Interchange. A quid pro quo was agreed, whereby the original field was exchanged for the present day ‘Parkway’ ground, which opened in 1973. This enforced move proved to be the catalyst the Club needed to develop into the community club it is today and several Club officials saw the potential for the club in the growing community of Marton. These members were most notably Fred Brunton, Harold Appleton, Trevor Gaynon and Dave Foster, who worked voluntarily in a variety of areas to enhance the Marton Cricket Club cause. This selfless work has been continued by club officials since, ensuring the high standards set initially are at least maintained or bettered. The club are particularly proud of the numerous achievements of their thriving Junior section, which was founded in the late 1970’s, under the initial guidance of coach Keith Brett. Today the club provides training and cricketing opportunity for boys and girls from seven years of age upwards.
In 1975, Marton’s first Clubhouse was affectionately known as ‘The Wooden Hut’, which was replaced in 1981 for the brick built building used today. This Clubhouse was extended in 1993 & again in 2005 to provide improved member facilities and also a west-facing spectator balcony overlooking the ground. A separate pavilion block & outdoor artificial nets were constructed in 1995, with a new tea room and balcony added to the pavilion in 2012. New ‘state of the art’ nets were opened in 2016.
Sat Nav Post Code TS7 8EL
Contact the Club: