Founded at the beginning of the last century, in the early days matches were played against local teams. In 1920 a team was admitted to the B Division of the NYSD and allowed into the A Division the following year. In 1925 a second team was accepted into the B Division.
The cricket field was originally in the grounds of Normanby Hall, hence the name and leased to the Club by the Ward-Jackson family. In 1948 the estate was sold and the field was given to the Club by Mr W Ward-Jackson and 4 Trustee's appointed. Until the late 1950's the ground was very rural, approached along a farm track through woods with open field around the ground. The buildings and amenities were basic but in 1957 two new brick buildings were built, a pavilion and a tea room which was converted into a licensed club house and bar in 1972 and became a Limited Company. A housing development started around the ground in the late 1950's so some of it's early charm was lost. In 2003 a brick scorebox was built in the SW corner of the field.
Normanby Hall has generally been a village club, but have progressed steadily over the years and have been reasonably successful in the leagues and cups. In the sporting boom after the 2nd world war large crowds watched matches. In 1947 a near 3000 crowd watched a match between a team captained by Norman Yardley, the England Cricket Captain and Normanby Hall team captained by George Hardwick, the England Football Captain, who played regularly for Normanby. In 1949 a similar crowd watched a benefit match for Len Hutton.
Over the last 97 years the Club have been League Champions on 5 occasions and the most memorable was in 1963 going through the season undefeated. The Club has won the Kerridge Cup 6 times, Macmillan & Arthur Sanders 5 times, Haith, Robinson & Ray Bell 3 times and Hornby once. In 2017 the Club won it's first 15/15 competition beating Saltburn in the Division 1 final. The Junior team have been League Champions on 7 occasions and Cup winners twice. The U11–U15 teams have had success in both League & Cup competitions over the years.
J W Atkinson (Wilf) joined as Professional in 1934, turned amateur in 1940 and retired in 1964. He started as a right arm fast bowler and left hand batsman and changed later in life to leg spin with devastating effect and in 1963 at the age of 56 won the League bowling award and played for the League side on many occasions. During this time he scored over 15000 runs and took over 1700 wickets. He was groundsman at Normanby for over 35 years and also at Ayresome Park the then home of Middlesbrough FC.
Geoff Cook played in the Juniors and soon progressed into the senior teams. In 1971 he joined Northamptonshire, eventually becoming captain & played 7 tests and 6 O.D.I’s for England and later became Director of Cricket at Durham CCC.
Alongside Geoff, Professionals Rizwan uz Zaman, Clayton Lambert, Philo Wallace and Paul Wiseman have all played international cricket for their respected countries.
Over the years JT Barker, D Cook, PA Darcy, A Glass, B Leech, RE Myers, G Robinson, J Shepherdson and KJ Thwaites have all represented the league side in national competition.
Contact the Club: