The Early Days
The club’s origins dates back to 1860s following the formation of the South Stockton Cricket Club (Circa 1860) Thornaby CC was established as the ‘new’ club in 1892. Mandale Bottoms became the home of Thornaby CC following the current site being bequeathed to the club in 1905. Little is known of the early part of the 20th century. RAF Thornaby featured heavily in the 1930s and 40s hence many symbols of Thornaby's aeronautical past remain with streets, roads and pubs. The oldest team photograph in the clubhouse is 1949 and it features two youngsters who would feature very heavily in the clubs history, the late Norman Toulson and the then schoolboy Barry Smith.
The early records have listed George Langdale who represented Derbyshire from 1936 to 1937. The clubs post war era list some fine players, In the 1940s spinner Norman Nevison took over 2000 wickets for the club at an average of 8, and this included two ten wicket innings hauls. In the late 1940s Thornaby players Alan Townsend and Richard ‘Dick’ Spooner were both selected for Warwickshire.
Great Club Captains.
The club has a proud tradition of esteemed captains who have held the position for long periods. Howard Clarke 1922-1931.The legendary Lawrie Smith held the position between 1939 and 1952. Barry Smith dominated the 70s (73-79) Mike Priestley the 80s (85-89, 92) and Neil Marsden (94-02) Other captains include George Smith, George Bell and John Kirk. Current skipper Paul Allen is into his sixth season
Thornaby achieved the double in 1943 by winning the League and the Kerridge, the glory years of the 80s saw the club lift the A division title once more in 1986. The club achieved top three positions in 97 and 89 and 92. The 2nd team won the B division the following year. The 3rd team lifted the Arthur Sanders in successive seasons during this period. The 1st team won the 1st division in 2008 and 2017. The 3rd team were crown Sunday Div 2 champions in 2016.
The club won the Kerridge Cup in 1944 after the double winning 43 season, Macmillan 1993, 1995. Haith 1953, 2004. Robinson Cup 2002. Brunton Cup 2004. 2008. 2011.2015. Hornby Cup 2007 2011 2015 2016 2017 Arthur Sanders 1987 1988 Jarvis Cup 1958 1985 2000. Junior Cup 1958, 1985, 2000. Div 1 15/15 Champions 2007.
Today the ground bears little resemblance to the field and shed the pioneers created in the early 20th century. The historic pavilion was opened by Lord Hawke in 1926. The scorebox was built in 1974. The tea room was built in 1983 replacing the 1960s building. The early 70s saw the club build a bar to cater for the increased numbers of social members that support the club to this day. In 2008 the club received a £10.000 grant that was spent on ground improvements, a new wicket and new heavy rollers. In 2013 the tea room was renamed ‘The Norman Toulson Suite’ in recognition to Normans long association and immeasurable contribution to the club.
The club has employed some well-known international test players as professionals in the past such as Tim Shaw (SA) Neil Johnson (Zim) Ijaz Ahmed (Pak) Ajay Jadeja (India) and Hrishikesh Kanitkar (India)
The 1st team returned to the Premier League in 2018 and field three NYSD teams and a Midweek team. The junior sections accepts boys and girls from U17, U15, U13 and U11. Other current achievements include the ECB Club Endorsement Licence, Clubmark accreditation since 2010 and the UKBA licence. The Tea room is in use throughout the year for private hire.
The club is immensely proud of its association with the NYSD, which is widely regarded as one of best leagues in the country. It continues to serve as a sports and social venue for the community.
Contact the Club: