Yarm Cricket Club was formed in 1814 and is the oldest cricket club in the area. One of Yarm’s earliest fixtures is briefly documented in the book ‘The Annals of Stockton-on-Tees’ by Henry Heavisides. It mentions a Grand Match for £100 being played in 1817 between Yarm and Stockton. The books text states “This match, which excited immense interest, came off in a large field, opposite the Lord Nelson inn, between Stockton and Yarm. About 2,000 persons were present. After some excellent playing the Yarm Eleven proved victorious. On the return of the victors to Yarm the greatest rejoicings took place. Shouldering their bats, the eleven with their friends, marched in procession along the main street, headed by a band of music, and afterwards they all sat down to a sumptuous supper, provided at one of the principal inns.”
In 1886, Yarm joined 13 other clubs: Browns Wanderers, Clarence, Grosmont, Ironopolis, Loftus, Marton, Middlesbrough, (New) Marske, Normanby Hall, North Skelton, Norton, South Stockton and Whitby, to take place in the inaugural Cleveland Cup organised by the Cleveland & Teesside Cricket Association. The club were admitted again to the Association in 1922, which in 1946 became the Cleveland and Teesside League.
Harry Jobling, who was for 25 years the town's correspondent for local newspapers, recalls that his father Tom who was employed in the local skin-yard for 54 years, played for Yarm on a pitch in the grounds of Kirklevington Hall, off Thirsk Road. Later the Club moved to Willey Flatts, then to the present Leven Road Ground. ''I can remember travelling to away matches in an open horse-drawn brake belonging to 'Cabby' Raper'' said Harry.
In 1921 the Yarm Sports Ground Trust was set up by John Clapham, when he and his brother Harvey bought and set out the Leven Road Ground as a cricket field. Funds were raised by the residents of Yarm to establish the ground by holding whist drives and dances, the cricket pavilion was erected in 1926 and opened by Yorkshire Captain Lord Hawke.
Yarm joined the North Yorkshire & South Durham League in 1932, playing in the B division until 1998, except during the war when from 1940-42 it played in the A division. The Club were awarded the B Division title in 1933 and 1973, and the C Division in 1973 and 1974. The first Club player to score a century for Yarm in the League, was Ossy Atkinson with 107 versus Synthonia in 1934. On the 1st June 1935, there was a record breaking match in whom two Yarm batsmen scored centuries against Preston: GW Hird (116), T Wycherley (107).
In cup competitions, Yarm won the Haith Cup in 1971 against Barnard Castle, with Yarm making 154-9 in which Dave Doughty made a half century. Barnard Castle fell a few runs short, due to some fine bowling by Brian Penny (5-65), Neil Tait (2-59) and Bert Boston (2-12). Yarm savoured a fine win in the Ken Welsh Cup in 1978, which went a long way to quell the disappointment felt when beaten two years earlier by Seaton Carew. Overton, Danby and Stevenson bowled well to restrict Great Ayton to a total of 97-8 and winning the game by 18 runs. In more recent times the club has won the Brunton, Ray Bell and Hornby Cups.
The Club has grown from these humble beginnings to now field 3 senior teams, 5 junior teams and provides junior coaching for 10 months of the year. In 2013 we spent £75k modernising and extending the pavilion, this winter has seen £85k of work carried out on the outfield and we’re currently trying to raise £35k to erect a new non-turf practice facility in 2019. Despite our current lowly position in the NYSD league, we remain an ambitious family friendly club with a lot to offer members of all ages.
Contact the Club:
Leven Road Ground